Please use this page to find helpful resources and keep updated with how the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting rugby in our region.
What’s happened so far?
The information on the website will be updated regularly and is current as of 13 May 2020.
New Zealand Rugby has developed Return to Rugby Requirements and other resources to ensure our communities are safe and the transition back into rugby is as smooth as possible.
The New Zealand Rugby Return to Rugby Requirements below are consistent with Sport NZ’s return to sport guidelines.
Currently New Zealand is at COVID-19 Alert Level 2 and all community and club rugby will begin to follow the three stages of preparation outlined below.
Rugby is currently in Phase 1: Prepare to Train.
Phase 1 Prepare to Train – Phase ended 25 May
Rugby clubs work with their Provincial Unions to put procedures in place to ensure all necessary requirements can be met. These include hygiene protocols for people, venues and facilities, requirements for gatherings and contract tracing. No organised rugby training or match activity will occur during this phase.
Phase 2 Prepare to Play – From 25 May
No organised rugby training or match activity will occur during this phase.
Rugby clubs work with their Provincial Unions to develop Health and Safety plans in four key areas: Training, Changing Rooms, Clubrooms and Match Days.
Below you will find helpful guides to develop these plans and implement Contact Tracing.
Phase 3 Play (dates to be confirmed)
Competition fixtures can begin from 20 June, however, our union are currently working on a competition structure and will release more dates soon.
COVID-19 INFORMATION & RESOURCES
Return to rugby requirements – Click here to view the detailed COVID-19 Level 2 Return to Rugby Requirements which apply to all levels of Rugby, except for Investec Super Rugby Aotearoa.
Contact Tracing – Click here to view the NZ Rugby Contact Tracing Guide for Rugby Clubs.
Return to training checklist – Click here to view the minimum guidelines that coaches and managers must meet before training can commence.
Rugby clubrooms requirements – Click here to view the requirements that must be met for rugby clubrooms to open to members and patrons.
Rugby changing room requirements – Click here to view the requirements that must be met before rugby changing rooms can be utilised for training and match days.
The 2020 Rugby Season
- Registering for club rugby can continue online, please click here to do this.
- NZ Rugby and Provincial Unions have made a decision to cancel the Mitre 10 Heartland Championship for the 2020 season.
Caring for your teammates and community
- Look after your teammates, whānau and communities.
- Do what is best for you and your communities to keep them safe and healthy
- If you’re finding it tough or know of someone who is then visit www.headfirst.co.nz
Advice and getting help
- Follow the Ministry of Health Guidelines: www.covid19.govt.nz
- Maintaining fitness is encouraged. Visit www.rugbytoolbox.co.nz for more.
- If you’re finding it tough, or know of someone who is, then visit www.headfirst.co.nz
- Stay informed. We will provide regular updates on our website and social media so follow PBRFU on Facebook and Instagram.